Come discover the unsuspected riches of Vendée, the first tourist department of the Atlantic coast!
The good reasons to come to the Vendée:
- 140 kms of fine sand beaches;
- 250 kms of coastline protected to 80%;
- Its mild and sunny climate;
- Le Puy du Fou®, voted the best park in the world;
- More than 100 natural areas protected on more than 2000 hectares;
- 2 islands: Noirmoutier and L’Ile D’Yeu;
- More than 500 events organized each year;
- More than 300 visiting sites or leisure activities;
- 18 marinas;
- 1st department “Vélo de France”;
- 4 star Michelin chefs;
- 5 golf courses 18 holes.
Located in the Pays de Loire, on the west coast of France, the department of Vendée is very well known for its tourism and for its rate of sunshine similar to the south of France! The Vendée welcomes almost 5 million tourists a year, making it the first tourist department of the Atlantic and the second largest in France. Tourism is now also linked to the boom in nautical activities and not only to the so-called popular seaside tourism, but it is also the Bocage, the Parc Naturel Régional du Marais Poitevin, the Green Venice !!!!
The Vendée coast :
From north to south: here are the best known seaside resorts on the Vendée side!
- Saint Jean de Monts: 8 kilometers of beautiful and long sandy beaches!
- Saint Hilaire de Riez: 12 kms of fine sand and 3 kms of rocky coasts!
- Saint Gilles crosses of life: 3 kms of beautiful sandy beaches and its famous beach cabins!
- Brétignolles sur mer: 13 kms of coast of the dunes of the Jaunay at Havre de la Gachère!
- Olonne sur mer: Beach of the Granges, Beach of Sauveterre … Au naturel!
- Les Sables d’Olonne: 3 kms from Grande Plage facing south, one of the most beautiful beach in Europe!
- La Tranche sur mer: 13 kms of sandy beaches, 9 of which facing south facing the island of Ré!
The Vendée specialties :
La Vendée is also renowned for its art of living by its gastronomy (4 starred chefs) and its many local producers who love their terroir, oriented towards quality and respect for the product, its conviviality and its sense of sharing.
The main Vendée specialties are: the mogette, the bonnotte (Noirmoutier potatoes), brioche and the Vendéenne biscuit, the prefou, the holespinette (aperitif of Vendée) and finally the seafood. The famous vintage sardine comes from Saint Gilles Cross of Life. The Vendée Cola is created in 2008. Other well-known brands are also established in the Vendée: Michelin, Fleury Michon, Arrivée, Sodebo, Challans red label and Vendée ham.
Also in Vendée are the head offices of large nautical construction companies such as Bénéteau, Akena, Jeanneau, Concept alu …
Nautism in the Vendée :
The Vendée is known for events related to the nautical world: the Vendée Globe *, the most emblematic of events, as well as the Solitaire du Figaro, EDHEC …
* This famous French race takes place every four years, starting in November in Les Sables-d’Olonne in Vendée (France). According to an original idea of Titouan Lamazou, it was created by the navigator Philippe Jeantot and the first edition took place in 1989 … Next edition on 6/11/2016. Follow this event >>
The main tourist sites :
Several possibilities are available to you during your holidays in Vendée; From tourist visits to improvised walks in the lush nature of the region.
At the Domaine de l’Orée, you are at the gates of the forest of Olonne sur Mer, next to the Sables d’Olonne: a bargain for lovers of peace and nature in the wild! For the record, it’s Louis XV who planted the first pines about 1837: the forest of Olonne sur Mer stretches along the coast about 11 km in length between Brétignolles Sea to the north and the Thatch South. Its width varies between 200 m and 2500 m towards the center of the massif in Sauveterre and its surface is of 1120 ha.
The natural beach of Sauveterre is also nearby: only 1.5 kms from the campsite! It is located in Olonne sur Mer, hidden in the middle of the forest, and has kept its wild side, it is also a famous surf spot in Vendée. Accessible by road and bike path. Free parking. Dogs tolerated and kept on a lead.
Discover the remarkable natural sites thanks to the article of Vendée tourisme: www.vendee-tourisme.com/infos-pratiques
Discover the festivities on Olonne sur Mer: Festivities Olonne-sur-Mer